Tourist attractions nearby
St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral 2 km
Located on the eponymous square in Sofia’s city center it is the largest completed and functioning Orthodox church on the Balkan Peninsula.
The decision to built the church was taken by the Constituent Assembly in the old capital Veliko Tarnovo in 1879.
Architect is St. Peterburg’s professor A.N. Pomerantsev in cooperation with Russian and Bulgarian architects. The construction took 8 years from 1904 until 1912.
As from 1953 St. Alexander Nevski cathedral hosts all the masses of the Patriarch of Bulgaria.
Sofia Synagogue 1 km
Located near the Central Market Hall.
The Jewish temple in Spanish-Moorish architectural style was built for 4 years – from 1905 until 1909. Designed by the Austrian architect Friedrich Grunanger it resembles the old temple in Vienna which was destroyed during the Second World War.
With its 700 seats it is the biggest on the Balkan Peninsula and the third largest synagogue in Europe.
Bania Bashi Mosque 1 km
It is not only fully functioning Muslim temple but an architectural monument, built more than 500 years ago. It is located on Balkanski square
St. Joseph Catholic cathedral 1,4 km
On 21st May 2006 in Sofia Cardinal Angelo Solano – the Vatican Secretary of State solemnly consecrated the newly built St. Joseph Catholic cathedral on behalf of Pope Benedict XVI. The fondation stone of the new church was laid personally by Pope John Paul II during his visit to Bulgaria in 2002.
The new cathedral is built on the site of the old one (having the same name), which was destroyed during the bombing in 1944.
The St. George Rotunda, Sofia 1,6 km
The oldest preserved from ancient times building in Sofia. Built in the 4th century there are debates whether it was originally a Roman bath, sanctuary or with some other functions.
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences’ Archaeological museum 2,2 km
Located in the building of Buyuk mosque, with history than one hundred years.
The date 18th May 1905 marks the opening of the first visitors’ exhibition. The museum is located on 2 Suborna street, facing the Presidency.
St. Sofia Church 1,5 km
The early bizantin basilica St. Sofia was built in the 6th century on the two churches from 4th century. It’s one of the oldest partially preserved monuments.
Probably in the middle of the 14th century the name of the church is transmitted to the city.
Central Market Hall 1,2 km
The Central Market Hall is an important business place and a major landmark in the city center ot Sofia. The building was completed in 1911. The construction of the complex, gathering more than 150 shops and stalls within its 3000 square meters, completely changes the appearance of the central part of the capital.
The Central Market Hall is located at the intersection of Maria Luisa Blvd and Ekzarh Joseph Str.
Lions’ bridge (Lavov most) 0,5 km
Designed by the Czech engineer V. Prosec Lions’ bridge was built on the place of an older bridge called Sharen most (Motley bridge). Today it is an important and busy intersection in the center of the capital.
Its construction was completed in 1891 with the installation of four massive bronze lions. The bridge is longer than 25 meters and wider than 18 meters.
The eponymous square and the bridge are the symbols of Serdika Municipality. Lion’s Bridge is located at the juncture of Maria Louisa Blvd and Slivnitsa Blvd at 500 meters from BudaPest Hotel.
Vasil Levski’s Monument 1,5 km
Located at the intersection of Vasil Levski and Madrid Blvrds at this place (at that times that was the end of Sofia city) was hanged the great Bulgarian revolutionary republican Vasil Levski.
Eagle’s Bridge (Orlov most) 4 km
Eagle’s bridge was built in 1891. This is the starting point of Tsarigradsko shosse Blvd – the longest one in the capital
Tsar Osvoboditel’s (literally King Liberator) Memorial
Located at the National Assembly Square, the total height of the memorial in Sofia is 16,5 meters. It is sculpted with scenes and characters from the Russo-Turkish War under the wings oh the goddess of victory Nike.
National Assembly 2,3 km
The building, with the motto “ Unity is strength” engraved above the front door, was completed in 1884 . It is designed by the Viennese architect with Bulgarian origin Konstantin Jovanovic.
National Art Gallery (former Royal Palace) 2,2 km
The Palace has been the residence of four Bulgarian rulers. The Second World War bombing Palace was seriously damaged. After the repair and reconstruction the building houses the National Art Gallery. It is located on Battenberg Square, at 2,2 km from BudaPest Hotel.
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences’ Ethnographic museum 2,2 km
Founded in 1907 the Ethnographic Museum is located at 1 Knyaz Alexander Battenberg Square – the east wing of the former Royal Palace
Ivan Vazov National Theater 2 km
The impressive baroque building designed by the Viennese architecture office was opened on 3rd January 1907.
St. Nikolay Russian church
The t. Nicholay church at 3Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd, was completed and consecrated in 1914. In the crypt of the church lies a marble sarcophagus with the remains of one of Sofia’s Saints – St. Seraphim Wonderworker.
Presidency of Republic of Bulgaria 1,4 km
2 Knyaz Dondukov Blvd.
St. Nedelia (Ag. Kiriaki) Church 1,8 km
Built in 1751.
National Palace of Culture (NDK) 3,2 km
For the time being this is the largest convention center on the Balkans, awarded with a world recognition prize in 2005.